2019 Legislative Agenda
We believe Pelham plays an significant role in the economic well-being of Southwest Georgia, and is invested in advocating for a strong quality of life and protecting and improving its economic competitiveness. The Pelham Chamber of Commerce intends to promote outcomes on the following issues:
- Economic Development, Tourism and Taxation
- Support extending the state job tax credit program to include jobs retained by businesses impacted in federally-declared emergency areas.
- Support extending the recognized investment tax credit to include businesses impacted in federally-declared emergency areas that reinvest in their existing communities.
- Oppose legislation that allows discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation or practice.
- Encourage better investment in Georgia’s tourism marketing funding to help effectively compete with other areas.
- Support regional partnership and marketing between local chambers of commerce, development authorities and local governments to achieve economies of scale in rural areas.
- Increase broadband volume through public and private investment and incentives.
- Education & Workforce Development
- Maintain college and career ready standards for K-12 public education to encourage a more globally competitive workforce.
- Health Care
- Ensure the feasibility of our statewide health system.
- Support initiatives and investments that strengthen our regional health care provision system